Bhindi or okra has amazing health benefits and is one of the most favourite vegetable of every Pakistani. Bhindi or okra is cooked in many ways, but this bhindi karahi is a unique and a must try recipe. It is so delicious and easy to make. In this recipe the bhindi is cooked in a tomato-based gravy in olive oil, which makes it a healthy dish to enjoy with roti at lunch or dinner. Give this vegetarian and vegan friendly recipe a try and give me your feedback.
- This bhindi dish can easily be frozen in an airtight container for later use. Be sure to thaw it out before consumption.
- You can also freeze fresh bhindi. It’s quite difficult to find bhindi here in my town so I usually buy them in bulk, use some in the dishes and freeze some for later use. I thoroughly wash them, dry them with a clean towel, slice them and then freeze in a sealed container or freezer bags. They can be stored up to 6 months in freezer.
To avoid making slime free okra:
- It should be completely dry before cutting, so wash it a night before cooking (if possible) or dry it well with the paper towel.
- Don’t stir continuously while cooking.
- Adding lemon juice also helps remove slime from the okra.
- Don’t cover the pan with lid after adding okra.
Watch how to make this bhindi karahi:
More delicious recipes you need to try:
- Okra/Bhindi (thinly Sliced) – 4 cups
- Olive Oil – ¼ cup
- Tomatoes (thinly sliced) – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Flakes – 2 teaspoons
- Fresh Chilies – 3 to 4 pieces
Step by step recipe is given below:
- In a large pan, add olive oil and tomatoes.
- Cover on medium flame for 5 – 7 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
- Then add salt, red chili flakes and fresh chilies.
- Mix well and cook till oil gets separated.
- Now add okra/bhindi and mix gently.
- Cook on medium flame for 10 – 12 minutes.
- Heat and oil can be adjusted to the preference.
- Bhindi should be completely dry before cutting, so wash it a night before cooking (if possible) or dry it well with the paper towel.